What you eat and drink greatly affects your teeth! We’ll review what you should avoid and what you should feel guilt-free about, and suggest a few easy, yummy recipes that are tooth-healthy.
Tooth-Damaging Foods & Beverages
When it comes to having a bright and healthy smile, you want to limit foods and drinks high in sugar and/or acid.
- Sticky, starchy, and sugary foods like candy, pastries, potato chips, white bread, and dried fruit are especially damaging to your teeth because bacteria release harmful tooth-damaging acid on the surface of your teeth when they break these down. This acid leaves your teeth more vulnerable to cavities and decay.
- It’s best to avoid soda, wine, coffee, and alcohol because they are highly acidic and will soften your enamel, the teeth’s outer protective layer.
- Because citrus and tomatoes are acidic but contain valuable nutrients, don’t nix them completely. Just be sure to drink plenty of water when eating and drinking citrus- and tomato-based foods and beverages and wait to brush your teeth for at least an hour after consuming them.
Tooth-Healthy Foods & Beverages
Foods that are high in vitamins and minerals, protein, and fiber like crunchy fruits and vegetables, dairy, fish, chicken, eggs, nuts, legumes, and berries have a positive impact on your oral health. Consider trying out one of the following recipes to promote fantastic oral and overall health:
- Turmeric Tea or “Golden Milk”
A yummy alternative to coffee and black tea, turmeric tea is loaded with anti-inflammatory ingredients to help combat inflamed gums and bacteria growth.
- Beef and Veggie Taco Lettuce Cups
Who said that healthy recipes can’t have any flavor? These delicious lettuce cups are so good, you’ll totally forget that you’re eating them just for stronger and healthier teeth.
- Strawberry Gelato
Whole fruit is great for healthy teeth. Strawberries are full of malic acid, which is known to brighten up teeth.
- Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Not to mention, they’re delicious! Try this recipe when the sugar cravings hit.
- Grain-Free Chicken Fried Steak
You don’t need starches to get delicious breaded chicken!
Schedule Your Next Checkup!
In addition to a healthy diet, daily brushing and flossing and biannual dental visits are what you need to have a terrific smile. At Bluedot Dental, our team is dedicated to providing you comprehensive, high-quality care so you can be confident in your oral health. Contact us to schedule an appointment today.