We want our teeth to be white, healthy, and strong. We also want them to feel smooth. If your teeth feel fuzzy, this is a signal that you need to step up your oral hygiene routine because bacteria is building up on the surface of your teeth!
What Causes that Fuzzy Feeling?
When your teeth feel fuzzy or rough, this is a red flag. All foods feed the bacteria that live in our mouths, allowing them to grow, multiply, and secrete damaging acids on teeth, which leads to enamel damage and tooth decay. If bacteria in your mouth isn’t brushed away, they accumulate into a soft and sticky biofilm, called plaque, that clings to your teeth.
Why should I worry about plaque?
If plaque is not removed every day through proper brushing and flossing, it hardens into tartar. The bacteria in plaque are still present when it forms tartar and the bacteria launch acid attacks on the enamel, causing tooth decay. Hardened plaque causes gum irritation and increases your risk of gum disease because it can’t be flossed and brushed away. It’s important you come visit us at Bluedot Dental every six months for a cleaning and checkup because tartar buildup must be removed by a dental professional!
How Can I Fight the Fuzz?
Most patients report that the fuzzy feeling is only temporary, like when they wake up in the morning. Proper brushing and flossing is a great way to fight the fuzz, but you can also take these steps to prevent the buildup of plaque:
- Chew sugar-free gum after each meal.
- Rinse your mouth with an alcohol-free antibacterial mouthwash daily to kill bacteria that lead to plaque.
- Limit the amount of sticky and starchy foods that you eat. These types of food cling to the surface of your teeth, linger, and encourage plaque to accumulate.
- Drink water throughout the day, especially when you eat. Water will rinse away the plaque acids that lead to enamel erosion and dental decay.
- Snack on a carrot or an apple at the end of your meal. These foods are ostensibly nature’s toothbrush; they will help break up and wash away plaque.
What if my teeth Still Feel Fuzzy?
If your teeth still feel rough or fuzzy after daily brushing and flossing, you are due for a cleaning with our team at Bluedot Dental. Your teeth will feel much smoother afterward. Contact us to schedule your appointment today!